Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

How to BEET the April Showers Blues

Roasting beets in the oven is an important step to both these recipes!

I know not too long ago I was lamenting the imminent drought triggered by the PNW's unusually pleasant and dry winter. Well, happy as I am that I don't have to water the plants and that the snowpack in the mountains is growing, I miss the sunny and relatively warm weather! As a means of escape, I usually turn to food. This turn around, the Sweet or Savory (SOS) Kitchen Challenge popped onto my radar. And what better way to hide from the winter-like spring? Make some nice comforting food with this month's ingredient: BEETS!
*UPDATE 4/26* Check out the Beet Roundup for other fun and creative concoctions!

While beets have definitely had their share of the spotlight on my blog, they really deserve all the attention. I tried two versions of a roasted beet salad this time. *GASP* No desserts??? No chocolate beet cake or crazy golden beet pie? I admit it, I stuck with savory!

Mmm ... the toasting pistachio aroma!

My first recipe is not my own, but the dish has haunted my dreams for a year. Ever since one of the residents of my Co-Op last year made it for his head cook, these Beets with Pistachio Butter have been begging for an encore. The only problem is that I forgot to ask for the recipe! Well, it seems like the only tried-and-true PB and B recipe comes out of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It's posted on a number of blogs, so I will just direct you to the recipe so that I can devote my space to enlightening you on my other salad. While this dish didn't live up to its Co-Op counterpart, the pistachio butter was delightful and roasted beets are always pleasing!
A powerful food processor is a must to avoid lumpy/grainy pistachio butter.

But I had leftover beets. While frolicking between raindrops in my backyard, I noticed that the chives really needed a haircut! I normally like my salads naked, but ok, ok, beet salad with a chivey dressing it is.

Rachel Sized Beet Salad with Chivey Dressing

2 medium red beets
1 clove garlic
1/2 tbs finely chopped chives
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
salt to taste

1. Dice beets and roast in an oiled and covered pan at 375F. Takes about 30 minutes until tender. Put the garlic clove in dowsed with a little oil for last 10 or 15 minutes.
2. Mix oil, vinegar, chives, salt, and smashed roasted garlic.
3. Toss with beets. Beware, this is not a task to undertake wearing white garments!
Who knew that beets + chives = magic?

1 comment:

Ricki said...

Wow, both those recipes sound so incredibly appetizing! Pistachio butter--what an inspired idea! Can't wait to try them both out. And thank you so much for entering the SOS Challenge. :) (Though I must admit, golden beet pie does sound rather intriguing. . . )

And we share the same weaknesses! ;)